Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Cacti and flowering plants at Leasburg Dam State Park

Leasburg Dam State Park was one of the first parks we visited.  We stayed there for two nights visiting our son, Jacob and his family, before I began my training at the Hypnotherapy of America in Albuquerque the summer of 2015.  

When we returned in the spring of 2016, we camped there for two weeks while waiting for our house to be prepared for us to move in. We found many shrubs and cacti in bloom.  I was able to identify a few of them, but many were unknown to me.  Following are some pictures I would like to share.
This beautiful flower was actually in the back yard of a private residence just outside the park, but I had to include it.  It is most likely Parry's agave, Agave parryi.



These may be Opuntia strigil, Marble fruit prickly pear, a.k.a. bearded prickly pear. 



This beautiful barrel cactus was right across from our campsite.  It is possibly an Arizona barrel cactus, Ferocactus wislizeni.



This beautiful cluster of cacti caught my eye.  At first I thought they were barrel cacti, but after checking online, I think they are likely Fendlars hedgehog, Echinocereus fendleri.



I think this is a slim footed agave, Agave gracilepes.



This beautiful tree in full bloom stands next  to the visitor's center.



Here is a close-up picture of the blossoms on the tree next to the visitor's center.

The park ranger informed us that we could save considerable money by purchasing an annual camping pass.  Resident seniors pay $100.  Non-residents pay $250.  Once you have the pass you only need to pay $4 per night for an electrical hook up, and $8 if it includes sewer.  Dry camp sites are free.  It did not take long for us to save the equivalent on our camping adventures.




No comments:

Post a Comment